Cory Helie

You can catch him on the two hottest radio stations in Central NE: Middays on the Tri Cities Country Leader Y102 and in the afternoons on Nebraska's Best Music, Hits 106 .
He loves writing short paragraphs on himself, baseball, overdosing, and drinking Culligan water when hungover.
He enjoys Weezer, Saturday Night Live, and telling people what the hell is up.



1/19/10

Martin Luther Coon Jr,

It was Martin Luther King Jr. day and it started out just as any day would begin. I woke up, brushed my teeth, showered and got ready for work. I was listening to one of my favorite morning radio shows Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN Radio when I heard it. Mike Greenberg, let his tongue slip a little when he said Martin Luther Coon.
Greenberg immediately corrected himself and said Martin Luther King Jr. Many people are calling him out for being racist, while many others are backing him, and his tongue-tied excuse. It is hard to believe that a man who has always shown reverence when it comes to African Americans.
Greenberg has issued a statement claiming that his fast talking is the cause for the slip. Quite frankly, it makes absolute sense to me, especially since something similar has happened to me. It is not so uncommon for a radio host to slur words together and the outcome not work out so well. For example, I was once on air, speaking very quickly, when I slipped, saying “Call now if you want free movies for most of 2010, folks.” However, instead of saying folks, I spoke too quickly and said fucks. Luckily for me, no one in Nebraska seems to care about a vulgarity. Unfortunately for Greenberg, he happened to slip the word coon in when referencing a great man, on a day we should honor Dr. King. Hopefully, this will get resolved soon.

Click here for Huffington Post story.


1 comment:

  1. Just a simple slip of the tongue. Yeah.... Sure we just misunderstood him.... Nice use of video and link.

    ReplyDelete